Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Poetry Book Favs

Ever since I could start reading, I have loved poetry.  My mom introduced me to an aging copy of Robert Louis Stevenson’s A Child’s Garden of Verses, and I was hooked at first reading of “My Shadow.”  I moved onto other poets...Jack Prelutsky, Shel Silverstein..., and as I matured so did the poets that I grew to love.  This is why I love to introduce my students to poetry, too.

Like I told you I would earlier in the week, I wanted to share with you some of my favorite children’s poetry books. The poems in these books are less about rhyme but more about imagery and language.

The first book is...

I love this book of poetry because these are relatively simple poems, but the ideas come across strong.  They show my students how a few words can communicate very powerful ideas.  Plus there are fabulous examples of voice as some of the poems are written from the perspective of trees!

Next is...

I love most poetry books by Douglas Florian.  He has written books filled with poems on just about topic you can think of...planets, amphibians, trees, animals, baseball...in all kind of formats like list poems and shape poems.  These are the kind of poems students can see themselves writing.

Another poetry book I enjoy is...

If you love dogs like I do, you will love this poetry book!  These poems are written from a dog’s point of view...students love these! 

A final book that I rely on a good deal when we are working on writing poetry is...

These poems are fabulous to teach similes and metaphors.  I also use the book as a model to for students to write their own color poems.

One last book I want to share with you is kind of a poetry book and kind of not...

This is one of my favorite books!  If you have any rock collectors in you class, they will really be able to connect to it.  The author describes skipping rocks and wishing rocks, chalk rocks and resting rocks.  All the description that is used is just fabulous!

Do you have any favorite poetry books that you share with your class?  Please share them with me!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica!

    Thanks for sharing these poetry books! I don't have a huge poetry section in my classroom library and I am looking to expand it, so it is always good to have recommendations! And we study rocks in science, so the rock book is PERFECT!!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am your newest follower. Come by and visit me...

    learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natural things are very beautiful. Education helps us to study about nature in details. Education increases the beauty of nature. We maintain the beauty of writings. We write assignments, essays and thesis for you.proposal writers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Professional resume writing service or professional resume writing software, which on is the best solution to your resume needs? Both are designed to help you to put out an outstanding resume which will in turn help you to stand out from the rest of the job seekers out there, but which one offers the best help for you?presentation service

    ReplyDelete
  5. When it involves samples of literature reviews, it's smart to grasp that it carries several elements. It issues scholarly scripts that tend to assess totally different reference resources moreover as gift details for the person reading the literature. click here

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Reader's Response could be a sort of analysis that may defy several forms besides a critique. it's a response that entails impression, expression, and imitation. In all, it intends either to market a project or denigrate it. it's a guide that may be followed or neglected. the selection is there. homepage

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plagiarism is a problem that plagues colleges and universities worldwide. annually instructional establishments struggle to search out answer to plagiarism as several students ar caught plagiarizing their essays and analysis papers. homepage

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most people have associate degree full mind with the overflowing of concepts that stick with it running that we are able to still see even in our sleep. Well so as for North American nation to create our life easier, I mean build our thesis creating easier, I even have here some easy, friendly tips to stay you going. my blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I look forward to what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...